Not quite Premier, but still a Pro, the Camon 17 Pro is Tecno’s latest and greatest, bringing decent camera hardware, powerful midrange chipset and a big battery, all for about GH₵ 1300 to GH₵1600 depending on who you ask.
Africa being the primary market for Tecno devices, it is not surprising to see the Camon 17 Pro at Ghana retailers for as low as GH₵ 1100.
That will get you a large, 6.8-inch display with a 90Hz refresh rate, though it’s an LCD and not OLED. The Helio G95 should be easily good enough for most things, and the 5,000mAh battery promises excellent endurance.
Camon is the camera-focused series in the brand’s lineup, and this 17 Pro comes with a 64MP primary unit, joined by an 8MP ultrawide with autofocus.
Then there’s a couple of 2MP cameras, one labelled ‘bokeh’, the other – ‘black/white. More important than these 2×2 is the selfie camera – a 48MP sensor is in charge there.
Tecno Camon 17 Pro specs at a glance:
- Body: 168.9×77.0x9.0mm, 201g; plastic frame.
- Display: 6.80″ IPS LCD, 90Hz, 1080x2460px resolution, 20.5:9 aspect ratio, 395ppi.
- Chipset: Mediatek Helio G95 (12 nm): Octa-core (2×2.05 GHz Cortex-A76 & 6×2.0 GHz Cortex-A55); Mali-G76 MC4.
- Memory: 256GB/128GB storage, 8GB RAM; microSDXC (dedicated slot).
- OS/Software: Android 11, HIOS 7.6.
- Rear camera: Wide (main): 64 MP, f/1.8, 26mm, 1/2.0″, 0.7µm, PDAF; Ultra wide angle: 8 MP, f/2.3, 119˚, 1/4.0″, 1.12µm; Bokeh: 2 MP, f/2.4; Monochrome: 2 MP, f/2.4.
- Front camera: 48 MP.
- Video capture: Rear camera: [email protected], [email protected]; Front camera: [email protected]
- Battery: 5000mAh; Fast charging 25W.
- Misc: Fingerprint reader (side-mounted); FM radio; 3.5mm jack.
Tecno Camon 17 Pro unboxing
The Camon 17 Pro arrives in a two-piece box that’s white on the outside and blue on the inside, the same blue that’s used for the bold ‘Camon’ lettering on the lid.
Inside, there’s a full set of accessories, including a reasonably beefy charger rated at 5V/3A and 10V/3.3A and a USB-A-to-C cable to go with it. There’s also a transparent silicone case for protection, as well as a set of earbuds.
The Camon 17 Pro is facing some strong opposition from bigger names despite Tecno’s aggressive pricing. Both Infinix and iTel have competent offerings for Camon money, and Samsung, too, has something to say.
The Galaxy A32 is cheaper than the Tecno Camon 17 Pro by a not-insignificant 12-15%. For less money, you’d be getting a much nicer 90Hz AMOLED, but for most other things, the Camon is as good or slightly better than the Galaxy. Well, there’s also the Samsung brand that the A32 has going for it.
Verdict: Buy the Tecno 17 Pro or Not
The Camon 17 Pro is not without its flaws – mostly small ones like the missing night mode for the ultrawide camera, or the unusual speaker behaviour. However, a more critical deficiency stands out – the display is an LCD among OLEDs, and it’s not even all that good of an LCD.
On the other hand, there’s a lot to like about the Camon 17 Pro. It’s got the best battery life in its class, and its 256GB storage is unmatched by its rivals. The selfie camera is particularly great and the rear cameras aren’t half bad either.
Compromises are inevitable when needing to meet a budget, and with the Tecno Camon 17 Pro, it’s the display quality that suffers. We can’t wholeheartedly recommend it because of that, but we can see how the Camon can be a sensible choice if your priorities align with its strong points.
Pros – What makes Tecno Camon 17 Pro Stands out
- Excellent battery life.
- Very loud speakers.
- Ample storage space.
- Overall likeable camera output, the autofocusing ultrawide is a nice touch.
- Great selfies, 4K selfie video too.
Cons – What is Tecno Camon 17 shortcoming
- The display is an LCD, and its maximum brightness is underwhelming.
- Slightly odd speaker behavior in terms of stereo handling.
- No night mode on the ultrawide camera.